Thursday, September 3, 2009

Before and Afters of the Kitchen

So I really want this picture at the bottom, but whatever! It was Tucker's idea to go all the way up the wall with the tumbled stone, I love this idea. The stone is red tumbled travertine (although it doesn't look red). They're in 1x3 little bricks. I love the little bricks. I also love that each stone looks different.
This was the view from the laundrey room. This was all of our kitchen! On the left side, you can see the countertop peninsula and upper cabinets that hung down. I also hated the light box that had the flourescent lights in it. That was the only light in the kitchen. We took that out (with my dad's help patching over it). We also built up the window so that there's a window seal (Tucker's idea).
The grains in the wood are so pretty. I love how each piece looks unique. Tucker oiled it with a food safe oil, and water just beads up right on it. I thought wood might give me the eebie jeebies when it was wet, but it doesn't. It's so smooth, and we like how natural it is. We got it at lumber liquidators. It was cheaper than laminate would have been, and we love that it's natural!
I love our big open sink! No more double basin, it's so wonderful!
Here's the new pic taken from the laundrey room.
Completely Southwestern, gag me!
This picture kinda shows you the empty space between the living room and where the kitchen started. I guess it was for a breakfast area, but it was weird to have that right in front of the sliding glass door and then it had the dining room table on the other side of it. We put the bar where that 1/2 wall was.
I love the island with the granite top. It's been a great place for storage and cooking! So I chopped our frig out of the pic. We haven't gotten a new one yet, so it doesn't match the other appliances.
So, I still get so frustrated with the order pictures are loaded... but you get the idea!

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! You guys give us hope for our projects

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Nifty! Love the comparison before and after - y'all did so well!! Your wood is BEAUTIFUL! and granite too!! holy cow!

    Sigh. One day... one day when we stop moving more than once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go!!! looks B-E-A-Utiful! I hope that one day soon we will be able to see it in person! Have you seen Sunshine Cleaning? It was set in Albuquerque... I also like your new blog look... Tuck, did you pick that one out? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I picked it out (Rebecca that is). I'm glad you like it! Ya'll should come up one year during the balloon festival. It's in October. Maybe we could have an early thanksgiving one year and all go to the balloon festival.

    ReplyDelete