I found out in June that the writing contract work I was doing last year was being cut out of the budget for this next year (this dang economy!). So... I started (although it was uncomfortably late) looking for a teaching job. I never realized how I took for granted that this job would always be there for me to fall back on. I never thought this whole economic crisis would be affecting me! I mean, I'm a bilingual teacher, you need me people! This is one thing I've realized- even the most secure job or situation can be taken away, nothing is guaranteed except the foundation of the gospel and God's promises!
Well, apparently all the thousands of teachers laid off in CA and AZ have meandered over here. I talked to a principal (who didn't have any openings) who showed me a stack of resumes about 3 inches high that he'd received. Needless to say, I went around to each school with openings, to find they weren't openings at all. All of them had already been filled! Even a huge school that is just bilingual already filled its positions.
I think the most discouraging was that the old school I worked at had a 3rd grade bilingual position (this is what I've taught). I already knew the team I'd be working with and had been volunteering there the past year. But, the principal was new :( . He ended up hiring someone who wasn't even certified bilingual (she will have until November to be certified)! It's frustrating that I'm certified and have experience with bilingual and that grade, and have great test scores from my students, but yet he wouldn't even give me the time of day.
I was really depressed about this for about 2 months, but recently am more at peace about it. The doors have so obviously been slammed in my face, that I feel that God is telling me "no." I'm not sure why, but that's okay.
We heard a sermon on Psalm 23. The pastor said that the "anoints my head with oil" was referring to a practice shepherds did with their sheep to cover their heads with a spicy oil mixture that averted their predators. Although the sheep don't like it, it's for their protection. So, for some reason, God has put "smelly oil" all over me. Each time I get discouraged I picture me handing my desire over to God on his throne as I say a prayer, which helps me as the visual learner that I am.
:) Thanks for sharing the lesson
ReplyDeleteIt has been so fun to read your comments on our blog, I appreciate each and every one of them!
Ooo! What a cool illustration from Scripture. So awesome. I love you, Rebs!
ReplyDelete